If you have unsightly mold in your home or office, then reach for the bleach. Before you it though, you must be aware of a few things.
Bleach produces toxic fumes and residue so be sure to use it only in a well ventilated area. Open windows or doors if possible and wear protective gloves and glasses. Also be sure to use an approved breathing mask to avoid inhaling harmful off gases.
Bleach is only useful for killing mold on select surfaces. Anything that is a porous material such as wood or drywall should be handled by a certified mold remover. Non porous or solid surface materials like porcelain, tiles, glass or countertops can successfully be treated.
Start by diluting the bleach with water. You can use on cup of bleach per gallon of water (1 part bleach to 10 parts water).
Use a spray bottle or sponge to apply this mixture on the surface where the mold growth is present.Apply the solution to non-porous surfaces with mold growth either by using a spray bottle or by using a bucket and a sponge or cloth.
Scrub the surface using a cloth or sponge that can be thrown away afterwards.
Does Bleach Kill Mold?
Although the active ingredient in bleach is the same active ingredient in mold removal products bleach is sometimes not recommended. In fact, it can cause more problems. On materials like wood ,bleach does not reach deep into the pores where the mold hides but the water in your bleach-water solution does. This only gives the mold a moisture source that it needs to grow and reproduce.
When bleach does come into contact with mold it will kill the spores. This does not mean that you are risk free though as dead or dormant mold spores still impact your health when they come into contact.
Disclaimer: Mold is a very serious and can be very damaging to your health. Unless you are certain that the type of mold you are dealing with is non toxic, you should never attempt to remove it yourself. A certified mold inspector can tell you the type of mold you have.