Borax, a natural cleaning product, is one of the better (more suggested) household products that you can use to kill mold. Because it does not give off harmful off gases like bleach, it can be safer to use when killing mold. Because of its high PH level, Borax when mixed with water is ideal for killing mold, insects, weeds and other invasive things. Best of all, you can buy it at any supermarket for very little money.
T o kill mold with borax, start by creating a borax-water solution that is approximately 1 part borax for 10 parts water.
Before spraying your solution, vacuum up any loose mold with a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner. This keeps loose spores from becoming airborne and moving elsewhere in your home.
Spray your solution directly onto the mold and let it sit for a minute. DO NOT spray your solution onto a cloth or scrub. This only stirs up the mold spores when you begin cleaning and makes spores airborne. Once airborne, the spores can be inhaled or can rest in other places in your home where they can grow again.
Scrub the infected area lightly to work the solution in. Make sure to wear protective gloves, eye wear and an approved breathing mask before doing this.
Clean any excess moisture left behind by dabbing it with a sponge or cloth. You do not need to rinse the area you are cleaning as borax residue will help to prevent mold from growing.
Disclaimer: Mold is a very serious and can be very damaging to your health. Unless you are certain that the type of mold you are dealing with is non toxic, you should never attempt to remove it yourself. A certified mold inspector can tell you the type of mold you have.