Radon gas is responsible for approximately 850 lung cancer deaths in Ontario each year, while most people don’t even think to test their homes for it.
The Canadian Cancer society has recently surveyed 1,000 Ontario homeowners with finished and partially finished basements to determine how much time they and their children are possibly exposed you radon spending time in their basements.
Radon, is a lot like Carbon Monoxide whereas it has no colour or odour, and is present in most basements where the radioactive gas comes up from the soil. It can also be found in granite countertops in kitchens.
The survey says, four out of every 10 households have a child or teenager spending at least three hours a day in the basement. While, ten per cent know that radon is a leading cause of cancer and half of them have tested above 200 becquerels per cubic metre, which according to Health Canada means you should have your home repaired within a 2 year period, while levels above 600 becquerels per cubic metre should be repaired within a year.
To give peace of mind, you may consider picking up a home testing kit from Home Depot. They carry a Pro-Lab Professional Radon Gas Test which uses the most advanced liquid scintillation, short-term detectors ranging from approximately $13.99 a kit to $49.99 a kit, which can help to give you peace of mind and potentially save your life.
If you do detect high levels of radon exposure in your home, it is recommended that you consult with a certified radon professional to determine the best radon reduction method. Keep in mind home repairs to remove radon exposure can cost somewhere between $1,500 and $3,000.
According to a recent survey, one in 20 homes in Ontario has dangerously high levels of the gas, which has prompted Cancer society officials to support a bill at Queen’s Park bill to create a radon registry, lowering gas levels in building across the province.